Over the past 18 months there have been literally thousands of questions asked about the SpeedStream 4200 — Most of those questions do share a common theme though.
These themes all relate to Firmware, Bridge Mode and Resetting to Default followed by using the modem on an alternative ISP. Below you will find the most common questions we have been asked.
- How do I Reset a SpeedStream 4200 to Default Settings?
- What is the SpeedStream 4200 Default IP address?
- What is the SpeedStream 4200 Default Username and Password?
- Does the SpeedStream 4200 support ADSL2+?
- How do I login to the SpeedStream 4200?
How do I Reset a SpeedStream 4200 to Default Settings?
There are three ways you can reset a SpeedStream 4200.
- You can login using the WebUI and select the reset to default settings option in the restart section.
- You can use a pen and give it a gentle poke. :)
- Or you can login via Telnet and issue the appropriate CLI command.
For more instructions see the SpeedStream 4200 Reset how-to guide.
What is the SpeedStream 4200 Default IP address?
The IP address that the SS4200 uses will depend on the firmware that is installed. For the standard generic firmware the IP address should be 192.168.254.254.
If you have Optus firmware it should be 10.1.1.1 and for BigPond firmware the default IP address should be 10.0.0.138.
Notice I said "should". That's because your SpeedStream may not be using the default settings. If you are not sure you can always check out the video that shows you step-by-step How to find the IP address of you Router (Comming Soon).
What is the SpeedStream 4200 Default Username and Password?
The Default username for the SpeedStream 4200 is generally admin. The default Password will depend on the firmware that you are using on the device. For the BigPond firmware it is also admin. For the Optus firmware, there is no password. Which means you leave it blank. The Generic firmware may or may not have a password depending on how it was originally provisioned.
See our Username and Password information sheet for more details. - Comming Soon
Does the SpeedStream 4200 support ADSL2+?
Yes! the SpeedStream 4200 IS compatible with ADSL2+... As long as you have upgraded the firmware.
The original firmware only supported highspeed ADSL1 which is generally 8,000kbps Download and 384kbps upload. The latest firmware available will support the full speed of ADSL2+ of 21mbps.
How do I login to the SpeedStream 4200?
There are 2 methods of logging in to your SpeedStream 4200. You can either:
- Log in via the Web User Interface (WebUI) using Internet Explorer or FireFox
- Connect using Telnet to access the Command Line Interface (CLI)
While you should be able to access what you need using the WebUI there are a couple of things that can only be accomplished using the CLI but it depends on what firmware you have loaded.
We are also processing the questions that you have submitted… Here are some of them.
- Is there regular updates for this device and how do I get them?
- Can my speedstream 4200 modem handle the speeds of a ADSL2+ connection
- does this router have wireless capabilities? how do I locate the ssid and wep codes already in my winxp system?
- How do I set up the modem to allow wireless access for a recently (Santa) received laptop?
- I am using the SpeedStream 4200 in an enclosed but outdoor, non climate controlled environment. What is the 4200's operating temperature range.
- The power LED is flashing red/green. Is something wrong with it?
- I own a 4200 speedstream and lost my password and wish to set up a new one. Can you please advise.
- how do i update the firmware?
Is there regular updates for this device and how do I get them?
There are no more updates being produced for the SpeedStream 4200.
There are a couple of updates available that upgrade the modem from DSL1 to DSL2+ which can greatly improve the performance. You should check what you current version is and compare it to the list of known Firmware versions.
Can my speedstream 4200 modem handle the speeds of a ADSL2+ connection
Yes the SpeedStream 4200 Can support an ADSL2+ connection. You may need to upgrade the firmware though...
does this router have wireless capabilities? how do I locate the ssid and wep codes already in my winxp system?
The SpeedStream 4200 does NOT have inbuilt wireless capabilities. You should look at getting yourself an 8 port switch and a wireless AP (access point)
The SpeedStream 6520 Does have inbuilt wireless.
How do I set up the modem to allow wireless access for a recently (Santa) received laptop?
The cheapest and easiest way to add wireless to Speedstream 4200 is to add a 5 or 8 port Switch and Wireless Access Point. A Wireless Access point (AP) will definately be needed as a minimum to satisfy your wireless requirements.
I am using the SpeedStream 4200 in an enclosed but outdoor, non climate controlled environment. What is the 4200's operating temperature range.
The stated Operating Temperature is between 0 °C - 40 °C (degrees Celsius) or 32 °F - 104 °F (degrees Fahrenheit) if you prefer.
Also consider that the Operating humidity is between 10% to 90% Non-condensing.
The power LED is flashing red/green. Is something wrong with it?
When the poser LED flashes Red/Green on the SpeedStream 4200 it generally indicates that the Flash is being updated on the Router. For more information on the LED indicators see What Do The SpeedStream 4200 LED's Indicate.
If you are not performing and upgrade of the Firmware, it could also indicate a failure straight after the POST which is causing it to restart. Try to reset the Router using the manual method.
I own a 4200 speedstream and lost my password and wish to set up a new one. Can you please advise.
If you have lost your password, the only option you have is to perform a reset of the SpeedStream 4200.
Refer to steps #2 in How to Reset a SpeedStream 4200 To Default Settings. Make sure you have a copy of your ADSL Username and password so you can set it up after.
how do i update the firmware?
To update the firmware you need to download the correct firmware and run the program.
For the Speedstream 4200 the firmware is contained in it's own program.
Note: You must run the Firmware program on a PC that has Windox XP installed.